Hi,
I am thinking to divide the post in 2 parts, every time. The first part with past memories and other one with the present troubles and fun!!
PAST:
It was my 4th day in IISc; I had snacks in mess and was hoping that Mario, Rakesh, Ganesh and Sumit could give me a good trip around the campus. But instead they said that they were going for Dance class. As it is...No work to do in first week, I too left with them for the same. I did not even bother to ask that what dance class, which type of dance, who is the teacher etc etc......I was walking with friends, with no idea where we were going.....I crossed the over bridge and then I saw a very big ground, that was the first time I saw gymkhana and the SAC.
As soon as we entered the SAC, I saw some people dancing Salsa in couples. Of course like many of us, I used to think SALSA is The couple dance (by the way, that dance was not salsa, it was swing). And then Mario was talking to One cute,young Lady ,asking some doubts (he always has too many doubts)......"OKkkkkk. So this is our dance teacher....." I thought. She looked at me and gave me a big and very sweet smile. "She is Tillu..." Mario told me. Actually on the way to gymkhana, all the time I was thinking that no one of my size dances....and I was sure that even My dance teacher was going to ask me the same...something like..." are you sure, you are right place??"... Or “do you really think you can dance???" ...... But with her one smile, I felt all my doubts vanishing and within next few minutes I was dancing swing with all of them. And best thing.......my size (I was real fatso that time) did not matter to her at all. She believes that anyone can dance...and so do I....you just need that right attitude for the dance. So this was my first Intro to Tillu and dance club (DC).
Today, Tillu and DC, both of them are like my bestest buddies. :)
PRESENT:
It's been almost 20 days now, since the date, we have released the notice for Jhankaar 2011. Me and Nitish....Nitish and Kiran are the Dance Club conveners this year. Kiran, getting married on this 22nd May, was too busy in his lab work as well as marriage preparations.….. It's now, me and Nitish who are trying to organize the things. We have sent the applications forms to all IISc through which people have registered their preferences already. We are in a process of forming the groups and deciding the couples for different couple dances.
The most irritating thing is…… What people have done while giving the preferences…… many many of them…most of them….. have given choices blindly. I mean I wonder whether people even know the dance forms which they have opted for......OK…..that is also fine....now for these people Tillu has organized FREE workshops on weekends so they get familiar to different dance forms and this lot even refuses to come for the workshops. Now how on the earth… is anyone going to train them????????
Kiran is @ Hydrabad Njoying his wedding, Nitish is @ Chhattisgad Njoying his holidays at home and me….I am here in IISc....grouping the people, making the couples, writing the emails for auditions and.....saddest thing ......nooooo one replies.....Every year this must be happening, I am sure. Conveners start the preparation on time hoping that let everything be ready on time....and it never happens :(........ I am planning to wait till this weekend at least, before taking any decisions about finalizing people and their dances. On top of that, Gymkhana has not signed the checks for dance Instructors and here I am running around the gymkhana and the audit section, asking for the documents, resubmitting rejected forms (Nitish's fault, I am going to kill him for this once he is back) and Convincing teachers that they are going to get their checks soon!!! For a while in a day, I completely forget that I am doing my PhD. I feel that days are getting smaller and list of "to do's” is growing bigger and bigger. I just hope that people will reply to my emails and Nitish comes back soon to help me with all this chaos........
Good to read the post, gauri!! I have always been the kind of person who thought I can never dance (because my hand-leg coordination is messed up).. But reading your post, maybe i should give it a try?! what say you?
ReplyDelete-NePo
Hey Neha, but of course...you have to...you should and I am sure you will!!!!Let me know what happenes!!!
ReplyDeleteWasn't part of any dance show :o(. So will be nice to know what happens behind the scenes :o)
ReplyDelete